How much weight can the roof rack support and suggestions....?

How much weight can the roof of a '97 support? I'd like to build a cradle to haul two aircraft wings (total weight around 150#).

Alternatively, anyone seen a scheme for transfering that weight to the bumpers? - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

Just off the top of my head I think it's 100 pounds.

Reply to
Ulysses

I looked in the owner's manual and it's 100 pounds. The maximum tongue weight on the bumper is 350 pounds. It seems to me that it should be possible to safely distribute the weight between the two.

Is the rest of the airplane going on a trailer?

Reply to
Ulysses

One of the possibilities is to remove the tailwheel and bolt the tailpost (don't know the entire details) into the trailetrhitch hole; end up pulling the plane backwards.

As I read your note you are suggesting one point of contact be the front roofrack and some kind of brace going up from the back bumper, correct? Suggestions? - Mike

Reply to
Michael Horowitz

Be careful of two things. First, the roof rack rails are not very far apart, and you have to be careful about balancing the load between them. A long load, whatever it is, can easily be unbalanced fore-and-aft, putting almost the entire load weight on ONE rail. Unbalancing is usually done inadvertently, by putting the load in a place where it is easy to tie down - but not necessarily balanced.

Second, the forward end of the load is buoyed up by the windstream coming off the windshield. If there is a lot of surface area and you drive fast enough, the load will try so hard to rise that it might pull the forward end of the rack upward, right out of the roof of the car! Now, that is a mess! Tieing it down to the front bumper will help - but only if the tiedown is tight and remains tight as you drive (no nylon rope - it stretches). We've all seen people driving down the highway with a mattress tied down on top - the front end of the mattress bent upward at a right angle by the windstream.

This might be a particular problem with a slabby but aerodynamic surface like an airplane wing, even if the wing is mounted in the "non-aerodynamic" direction - fore-and-aft.

Second,

Reply to
Bill Jeffrey

I'm not really suggesting anything other than the fact that it is probably possible to distribute the weight between the roof rack and rear bumper without exceeding the limits. As Bill Jeffrey pointed out there are a lot of things to consider.

At this point I consider this thread a discussion about the possibilities and the details, and whether or not to do it at all, to be determined by considering all the elements involved.

I use my roof rack sparingly and usually only for short distances at slow speeds. There is a lot of stuff along the highways that used to be on roof racks ;-)

Reply to
Ulysses