How much weight can a '98 GTI roof bear?

I got one of those soft Thule roof bags for a cross country (US) trip, but am disappointed on how the bag does not stand on top of the racks when loaded (the foam inserts hold maybe 10 lbs before buckling in) but rests on the roof itself.

So, I am wondering how much weight is too much. I will definitely put the least dense items up there, but don't want the roof to buckle in (neither do I want to trial and error to figure out the weight that will buckle it in). I could not find any specs on this and would appreciate if anyone knows the weight overall and/or psi the roof will hold without any damage to it.

Thanks Rex (yes I know I should be strapped to the roof myself for putting a roof rack on a GTI, but alas...)

Reply to
Rex Vincere

Why not place a small thin piece of plywood in the bottom of it?

Cecil

Reply to
Detailing Dude

Good idea -- 1/4" lauan ply, or even tempered hardboard -- such as Masonite -- would probably do the trick and add negligible weight.

Reply to
Brian Running

Hmm, but what will hold the board in place? Shouldn't I worry that constant bumping and rattling would slide the board off the rack and the whole thing will fall on the roof? The roof bag is attached to the rack by straps. And although they are strong enough that the bag won't fly off altogether, there is enough flex in the straps + the bag that one or two corners might slip down.

I don't really know though. I should try a board and see if looks precarious or not.

Thanks folks Rex

Reply to
Rex Vincere

Could not resist posting this link

totalstranger

just use some real thin lauan and drill a small hole on either side of the cross pieces of the roof rack, use zip ties to secure it.

that's the best that I could come up with at 3:40 AM...

nate

Reply to
Nate Nagel

Amazing!! There is just no limit to the stupidity of some people!

Reply to
Papa

Here is what I am thinking now combining all ideas:

- take a piece of lauan and rest it on the rack:

- drill holes on the lauan and zip tie them to the rack

- cut some slits on the lauan where the straps for the roof bag would go

- strap the bag to the rack and the lauan together

This looks more convenient than putting a lauan inside the bag. Anybody see any problems with this setup?

Rex

Reply to
Rex Vincere