Ignition switch start position

I have a 1984 Ford E-150. The start position on the ignition switch will not operate the starter. I have been starting the van by connecting a wire from one of the small terminals on the starter relay to the positive terminal on the battery. Could this problem be associated with a repair part other than the ignition switch? "302 engine"

Reply to
poorsoul

It sounds like you have a bad solenoid. That's the "starter relay" you are talking about.

Reply to
Mikepier

If he goes from a "small" terminal to positive he is energizing the solenoid. The solenoid works. The fault is that it is not getting energized through the usual path from the ignition switch etc. probably a bad switch or possibly a bad wire or connection in the circuit.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress

Neutral safety switch is a place to start. With an assistant and a test light, the original poster should easily isolate the cause.

Reply to
Jim Warman