installing serpentine belt

My serpentine belt broke and I am having a hard time putting on a new one. We have had a very rough time with this. I finally succeded in putting it on and now there is a very loud squealing noise. I managed to drive the explorer home and tried to figure out what was wrong. Well if you can imagine my surprise when I went to check every pulley that the tensioner's bolt had fallen out . I bought a knew tensioner and put the new belt on. Again with the loud squealing. What could the problem possibly be?I have checked all the pulley's and they seem to be rotating fine then it catches and everything stops. This time around the second belt broke. Can anyone help with this problem? Thank you in advance. The explorer is a 97 AWD 5.0.

Reply to
vme106

Fred 2

Reply to
vme106 via CarKB.com

Is there any chance that one of the engine mounted accessories is siezed? Remember, if the AC compressor itself is siezed, the belt may slip or break or the engine may stall as soon as the AC compressor clutch engages (vasically any time the heater is set to blow air on glass).

Something to consider....

For all you folks on CarKB.com.... this advice is coming from the newsgroup rec.autos.makers.ford.explorer - many of us don't appreciate CarKB.com insinuating that this is their content...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Reply to
vme106 via CarKB.com