92 Ford Explorer Temp. Gauge problem

It's just me again me again. Forgot to ask about my temp. gauge. First off it doesn't work and someone pointed out to me that the engine smelled hot. I know it's been getting hot but not to the point of boiling over. I have been reading in the Haynes manual but still am confused. What should I be looking for? The book made reference to changing the temp. sensor or something to that effect. What should I do

Thank

Confused gal in Californi

-- seahwkfan

View this thread:

Send from

seahwkfan

off it doesn't work and someone pointed out to me that the engine smelled hot. I know it's been getting hot but not to the point of boiling over. I have been reading in the Haynes manual but still am confused. What should I be looking for? The book made reference to changing the temp. sensor or something to that effect. What should I do?

What do you mean by it doesn't work? Does it always read all way at the bottom? Does it move at all? If coolant is boiling over from your reservoir then you may have a clogged radiator or blown head gasket. You may also have a bad thermostat. Is your water pump squeaking or dripping coolant?

I think we need a little more info here. If you think it's overheating it would probably not be a good idea to drive it until you determine what the problem is and fix it.

Reply to
Ulysses