Low Fuel Warning Light

My 86 Accord low fuel warning light has always illuminated at about 220 miles after filling and I could count on 75-100 miles remaining on the tank.

I have had a 99 Accord for 2 years, and the fuel light has come on 4-5 times, but at inconsistent mileage, and I usually fill up when I think the gage is reading too low to go further. This weekend I ran out of gas, and the low fuel light never came on. The gage was below empty, but I had a can of gas in the trunk, so I drove to see if the light would ever come on.

Why would the low fuel light be intermittent and so inconsistent on the newer Honda?

John

Reply to
news.west.earthlink.net

I don't know, but my 2001 Civic's fuel light is worthless, I don't even pay any attention to it whatsoever. And the fuel gauge is very inconsistent too.

Reply to
Bucky

I forget the behavior of my 87 Accord, I think the light went on rather late, but all the Hondas I've had since, the light always went on with 2 to 3 gallons left, generally closer to 3, and never failed to go on AFAIK.

J.

Reply to
JXStern

I've noticed strange gauge behaviour in my 2004 Civic as well. The "top half" seems to go down more quickly than the "bottom half". But I really can't complain; the car did 42mpg on a recent road trip.

On the other hand, the gauge in my '93 Accord was the opposite. The "bottom half" went down more quickly than the "top half".

I never let the tank get low enough on either car to trigger the light.

Reply to
High Tech Misfit

Isn't it considered bad form to run the gas tank so low? The reasoning I recall is that stuff settles to the bottom and you don't really want that being sucked into the engine. Of course, if you do it all the time, I guess the sludge is sucked in in small stages so perhaps isn't as bad as doing it all at once. But I'm just a lurker. Perhaps the knowledgeable folks will chime in.

Reply to
dgk

That's not the only reason. The biggest reason I see is that the fuel pump, if in the tank, uses the gas for cooling. Running tank too low reduces it's ability to be cooled by the fuel.

Reply to
Thom

Same thing with my 2004 Accord, it may be due to an odd shaped tank while the sending unit is linear. I had an older Camry where the top half of the tank would last twice as long as the bottom half.

Reply to
L Alpert