New to me 2002

2002 Explorer XLS, 40K, Auto, 4X4. This is my 3rd Explorer having had a new 92 and a used 97.

Purchased from Ford dealer on Jan. 16th. Dealer replaced the 4X4 module before sale. No problems encountered during test drive.

I have found a couple issues with the truck I would like to mention here to see if anyone has any ideas.

The first has to do with the 4X4. As background, I had run using cruise for about 10mi at 60mph on 4-lane. Got out of cruise for a light and the

4X4Low little blinker light started amber colored. Stopped within maybe 10 seconds. Did not happen again on the way home which was a longer drive of about 20mi. continuous.

On this same drive home, had the heater on one click with fan and full heat. The area next to the console, including my leg, became very hot to the touch. Am 6'2" so my leg tends to rest up against the console. Very uncomfortable. The console and the carpet running up the side of it were also very hot to the touch.

Any thoughts on these issues or any other things I need to be aware of?

tia.......Rich

Reply to
Rich Binkley

You weren't running 4WD on dry pavement were you?

Reply to
Captain Coleman

Setting the heat control on one click (fan speed low) and full heat WILL toast you! The heater is one thing I really like about the 2002, After 5 minutes from a cold start (32ºF outside) it's already blowing warm air....sounds normal to me.I usually set it at "12 o'clock" and it's fine.

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

No, the blinking light on the 4X4Low just came on for no reason? On for about 10 seconds and then off and has not come back on at all.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Binkley

I know the vents on the side of the console seems right where my leg rests. I thought the thing was on fire.

Rich

Reply to
Rich Binkley

Reply to
Jim Warman

Nope..it blows air thru the bottom of the console to the vents located center of the back seat, blowing towards the rear seat passengers. It's quite capable of making air too hot to handle, can even drive with the window partially down in the winter and it will keep up. Normal operation.

Reply to
DR RASTIS FAF00FNIK

Reply to
wth

Have done so and it has helped. Will see how it goes. The duct tape was also one of my ideas but thought there might be a better way to do it.

Thanks for the reply.......Rich

Reply to
Rich Binkley