not the Radius Arm Bushings afterall...

Hi All, I was getting the textbook "clunck" sound in the frontend of my 94 explorer (still had factory RAB's) --I took it to an alighnment shop -hey said the RAB's weren't too bad but, I had the RAB's replaced anyway- I still have an occasional cluck when I hit the brakes-any ideas. THANKS! Lou

Reply to
dan

The bracket that holds the radius arm bushings is subject to elongation of the holes. If that's occured. there's a little extra rooom for the radius arms to move before they are limited by the bushings. In essence the bushings would be moving in the brackets.

The brake calipers slide in rails on the spindle, retained by rubber-cebtered pins that really look more like wedges, long wedges that slide between the caliper and the spindle slides. Anyway, the rubber gets tired in those. When it does, the caliper may move slightly when you brake. New caliper pins are relatively cheap. The slides and pions are some absurd maintenance schedule, with grease on them every 8k miles or something. Not many folks do that.

Ball joints might be the next thing to check.

Good luck!

dr bob

Reply to
dr bob

BIG THANKS Dr B ! ! ! ! ! ! !

best ones!! dan

Reply to
dan

im having the same problem in my 94 explorer, it clunks when turning sharp from moving out of a parking spot?

Reply to
marlow

There will always be some play between the radius arm and the hole it goes thru. The radius arm bushings are sort of on both sides of that hole. My experience with different versions of the bushings is that some are a bit larger then others. I have used extra washers for some of the smaller ones to make then crank down tighter, like you squish the rubber bushings on the end of a shock absorber. Yet no matter what you do, the metal arm part that goes thru the hole in the bracket always has some slight amount of clearance and will wear larger as time goes on. I think that is the source of some of the clunk, if not all. Most likely if you get a crowbar and pry a little on it you will see it easily can move up and down.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher