Oil Synchronizer?

Hi All,

My wife's 94 Explorer is making a light whining sound from the engine that occurs only when the engine is cold. It goes away whithin 2 minutes of start up. The Ford dealership says the sound is the oil synchronizer shaft, which I have never heard of. Apparently, if it siezes the oil pump stops and the engine siezes soon after. The dealer says that he cannot predict if this will happen sooner or later. He also says that fixing it will require dropping the engine.

The question is: does it need to be replaced. I am more concerened with my wife's safety than the cost. I view the dropping of the engine as a possible issue, as well. Will that also introduce problems?

Thanks for any help.

Rick

Reply to
KB1FLR

Oil synchronizer shaft....... hmmm, sounds interesting. It also sounds like you need to visit a different dealer. If possible, leave the vehicle with them overnight so the tech can experience the sound first hand....

Jim Warman

If the oil sychronizer shaft is bad, you risk lack of lubrication on the piston return springs, which can certainly cause them to fail. Soon thereafter the muffler bearings will score, or seize completely.

At least that's my understand of it's function. A second opinion would be reccommended though !

Reply to
Chief Wiggum

Is the '94 a DIS system? Perhaps he meant camshaft synchronizer? That's what drives the oil pump on pushrod engines (just like the distributor shaft did).

IK

Reply to
IK

Hmmm, It could also be the fore & aft transmogrifiers. Then again, it may be the GPS/GMRS/FRS interface. The starboard widget tends to go bad under load. Why, I don't know. It's just PFM, I guess. In any case, go to a fish store, buy some sardines, and feed the driveshaft seal.

Matt "Beg forgiveness, not permission"- An old(er) Aviator, USN, Ret.

Reply to
MDinzey

That sounds vaguely like a description of the fan noise when the fan fluid clutch is cold. It runs the fan faster then "normal" till the silicone fluid inside it warms up. If that's what it is, it's nothing to worry about.

Reply to
AZGuy