OT: Antifreeze/Coolant Shelf-Life?

First off, I apologize for the slightly off topic question... I have a case of Prestone Antifreeze/Coolant that I estimate to be between ten (10) and fifteen (15) years old, and would like to know the shelf-life of this product?

The antifreeze is on a basement shelf in retail sealed gallon containers and has always been kept in a clean, cool, and dry environment. Is this coolent safe to use in my Explorer or should I have it recycled?

Thank you,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Your coolant should be in grand shape, Steven.... it hasn't been subject to conditions that would alter it's Ph nor has it been subject to the 'normal' electrolysis that we see in cooling systems. I can foresee no problems from using the product.

Jim Warman

I'd be worried that it won't meet the current Ford specification for coolant. If it meet the Ford specifications, it will be just fine.

Regards,

Ed White

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:

Reply to