PCV location Explorer Sport

2001 4.0L SOHC?

I can't find the PCV valve to replace it.

Can anyone help?

Reply to
The Wolf

Do you have more then 60K on the vehicle? If not, why do you want to replace it? I'm still running the original at 120K in my 92. I believe they are part of the emissions control system and have to be certified to last at least 60K just like the rest of the emission control stuff, might even be up to 100K now. In my 92 it was to be replaced free by the dealer at 60K.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

I have 82k and my mileage has taken a nose dive. I am changing everything I can think of.

Can anybody tell me where the PCV valve is located?

Asht> >

Reply to
The Wolf

It's not likely to be the cause but I can understand that you would want to try those things that are cheap and easy. You should be able to follow a hose that's about the same size as the one going to the brake booster. Find the brake booster vacuum hose then look for another one just like it and follow it to it's two ends. On one end should be the PCV. Most likely it's somewhere along teh back of the engine area. I'm not familiar with the locations of the V6 but on the older 5.0L v8s it was under the upper intake manifold,nearly in the center of the engine, and very hard to see and get to.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Thanks, I found it.

Learned an important lesson. Buy Ford spec parts. The Fram pcv valve I bought has a little bigger barb on the nipple making it impossible to get in the hose.

Bloody knuckles later I put the old Ford one back in. I will go to the dealer tomorrow and get a new Ford one.

The egr valve should be easier it's right in front. These are due soon anyhow.

Asht> >

Reply to
The Wolf

I took a nylon tie and tied it around the PVC hose leaving the loose end sticking up. Now when I want to change the PVC valve I just follow the nylon tie to the hose and follow the hose toward the passenger side of the car and remove the PVC valve while it is still attached to the hose. It is working in the blind. Why didn't Ford put the PVC valve on the valve cover instead of hiding it in back of the engine.

Reply to
To Arms!!

I believe that if you will take the plastic nipple off the Fram unit, it will be identical to the Ford unit. I think Fram makes its PCVs universal and so it comes with an extra plastic nipple which must be removed for the Explorer application.

Reply to
Tommy Wood