Problem getting Rear rotors off/ door is ajar light?

97 ford explorer awd having prob getting rear rotors off..can someone explain how the parking brake system works..can this be effecting me getting the rotors off?..also common problem of one off the door sensors is saying its open ..clue on how to troubleshoot this

-- essmilin

View this thread:

Send from

essmilin

how the parking brake system works..can this be effecting me getting the rotors off?..also common problem of one off the door sensors is saying its open ..clue on how to troubleshoot this?

The parking brake could cause this but 90% chance it will not. I have removed a lot of them with a little WD 40 or anything like it on the lug nuts at the rotor base and a big hammer. Rust and a very tight fit make it difficult to remove. A long bar and hammer worked for me.

Good luck

Reply to
Ron B.

The parking brake is inside what could be considered the drum portion of the rotor. So if you have your parking brake applied, you will not be able to turn the rotor or pull it off.

Reply to
Xx

I would like to add that you might have to turn the star adjuster for the e-brakes so that the shoes will contract enough to allow you to take off the rotor easily. I found this out last week when I had to change a stripped wheel stud.

Reply to
Mikepier

Forgot about door ajar problem. Try to identify which door is causing the problem. With the truck running, open each door,including the tailgate and liftgate to hear the door ajar chime. If when you open the door you do not hear the chime, you've located the problem. Try spraying some WD-40 in the latch mechanism as this is where the door sensor is.

Reply to
Mikepier

I've done a few rear rotors on my 95 and after the first stuck set, I always use anit-seize on the hub to stop the rust-freeze. I had to coax it with an oxy torch lightly around the hub the first time, but be careful as you could melt axle seals if it gets too hot.

Regarding your door ajar, does the interior lights stay on until they time out in about 20 min? The exp is supposed to time out to prevent batt burn out, if doors left open. I messed around with the back latch and took the back tailgate panel off trying to solve. I learned that you must be sure you rear realease door handle (on the back tailgate) must be turned so it is level, otherwise it thinks door is open. The actual fix was taking it to a diag guy who replaced a small .25"x.5" relay in the back driver area (near the lug wrench) that controls door light and door ajar stuff.

Ted

Reply to
Ted