WOULD YOU BUY ANOTHER VOLKSWAGEN??

Question how long would it be until you bought your next volkswagon

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin

New or used? I purchased a 1988 Cabbie last year in VGC for $2200. Most new cars cost 10 times that amount, or more.

Reply to
Papa

Ew. That's a lot for an 88, it must be cherry...

Reply to
Peter Parker

Reply to
Regal53

When one of my current ones gets totaled, or the kids need a car. It'll be a '91 or older, though.

Reply to
tylernt

It's been 11 years so far. ;)

I don't know if I'll replace it with another VW. I like how it drives, but I don't like that I've got to mess with it so much to keep everything going. It's not because it's old. It's always been like this.

With similar reports for the A4's, I'm likely going to wait a couple years to see if the A5's are any better.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

True. Diesels are getting top money for about a year now. Cabbies are still on every corner lot trying to get sold. $2200 is on the high side but if it has all the right stuff it's worth the extra dollar.

Reply to
Peter Parker

My A3 is great. 209K miles on it and it drives like a sports car. I wouldn't mind getting another A3 but most people just shit on their vehicles after a certain time, they can't stand all the little issues building up, they sell or trade it in. It's trying to find a good one that was maintained and available. Most maintained ones are kept.

Reply to
Peter Parker

Yeah, the thing eats wiring harnesses for snacks and I haven't yet resorted to a nail gun to reattach the door rubbers... As far as running and such tho', it's been great. Just all the electrical garbage.

Thing is, I really want to look at the 4-door GTI when/if it comes in July. That's even more 'extra' garbage tho', but probably less than an A3 has.

Mark '95 Jetta GLS

Reply to
Mark Randol

According to JD Powers report for 2006 the VW is still number three from the bottom with average 171 reported problems per 100 vehicles. I believe that is actually a bit worse then it was in the 2005. Only KIA and Land Rover had more problems.

Mark Randol wrote:

Reply to
Alex

Might be this year, might be next - might spring for an Audi instead. Depends heavily on what happens with the A5 Golf/Rabbit; specifically, whether a 4-door model will be available with a decent engine (2.0T minimum) and DSG (and, ideally, 4Motion).

-- Mike S

Reply to
Mike Smith

It's been 11 years so far. ;

I don't know if I'll replace it with another VW. I like how it drives

but I don't like that I've got to mess with it so much to kee everything going. It's not because it's old. It's always been lik this

With similar reports for the A4's, I'm likely going to wait a coupl

years to see if the A5's are any better

Mar

'95 Jetta GL I know exactly what you mean mark VW"s structurally are pretty good but mechanically are shit! its a proven fact wont be buying a VW no time soo everyone should read what Consumer complaints have to say about vw reliability

-- johnin

View this thread:

Send from

johnin

Mark, my head lining is still perfect. It's not that later version thin foam stuff but the early thicker headliner. Since you are in a hot environment, I bet you don't have rust but do have lots of melting issues including wiring rubber, headliner... I don't have any of that here but did have to do some underbody rust removal and fill with short hair fiberglass.

Reply to
Peter Parker

mechanically are shit! its a proven fact wont be buying a VW no time soon

Not mechanically. Non mechanical hardware issues have plagued VW for a long time. The mechanical bits outlast many OEMs. That's why I have the VW for now and also my I6 engine YJ Jeep. The run forever and the Jeep body can withstand a lot of age issues.

Reply to
Peter Parker