Programming Key FOB for 2002 Explorer

Anyone know how to program keyless remote for 2002 Explorer? Any help would be appreciated. Tried the instructions in owners manual (cycle key from off to on eight times) with no luck.

Howie in Vegas

Reply to
Howard Webb

Is this a third key or just a new key to replace a lost key? I believe you have to have the two original keys to program a third or fourth key.

Reply to
Sy Cohen

It's NO KEY... he's talking about the REMOTE .. :)

Anyway, do you hear the locks cycle indicating programming mode ? or does it not even do that?

Reply to
Chief_Wiggum

I'm sure that the instructions in the WSM are no different from those in the owners manual...... be excrutiatingly sure that you have followed the instructions to the letter including any preparatory steps.... this includes using an existing fob to unlock the doors or using the drivers door switch to unlock the doors before moving to the next step. The key cycles MUST be done within ten seconds but we also need to be sure that there is enough time for the modules to see the "ons". The doors will lock and then unlock to indicate that you have entered programming mode. Additionally, the locks will cycle when the module has learned the fob signature.

I have seen instances where programming a new fob has erased existing fobs....... I would suggest having all the fobs at hand and performing a full reprogram just to be safe.

I assume that the system works properly with the existing fob(s) and we are just adding an additional fob????

Jim Warman

I finally got it to work last nite. Your right Jim, I think its all in the sequence of events. I only had one of the remotes with me when I finally got into the programming so I need to redo the programming again. Thanks to all appreciate your help.

Howie in vegas

Reply to
Howard Webb