Re: Huge study about safety can be misinterpreted by SUV drivers

Introductions seem to be in order: Pete, this is logic, Logic, this is Pete. Do try to keep in touch at the next car purchase time.

Reply to
Lisa Horton

What makes you think my purchase was illogical Ms. Horton?

It's easy to make silly comments such as yours.

It's much harder to back them up.

Best of luck.

pete fagerlin

::Revolutionary! Evolutionary! Yet so retro! ::

P e t e F a g e r l i n

I'm sure your KIA is much safer than his Mercedes.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Because you claim to care about the safety of your family, yet you did not buy the safest type of vehicle.

Sure, but not as easy as making silly comments like your SUV handling better than many cars.

And even harder if you use logic and facts, good thing you're not trying the hard thing.

I think it's you and your family that will need the luck, as you roll roll roll down the road, but not on the wheels.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Let his SUV hit you head on and see who wins.

Reply to
Kevin

Nawww, he's likely to be able to steer around it very nimbly. The SUV is more likely to hit another SUV head-on, as neither is nimble enough to avoid the encounter. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Not being an SUV driver, I'd simply steer out of the way, knowing that I can actually turn sharply without rolling over. With any luck, it would be rainy, or on a curve, and I could see evolution in action as a bonus.

Lisa

Reply to
Lisa Horton

Approximately 10/18/03 12:19, Dave C. uttered for posterity:

Don't drive much these days or pay attention to road tests, huh Davie?

Reply to
Lon Stowell

What are you talking about? I've driven several SUVs (not by choice). My current daily driver is a Ford 4X4 pickup. It handles like crap, and it's not nearly as top-heavy as the SUVs that are based on it are. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Approximately 10/18/03 15:56, Dave C. uttered for posterity:

Go drive a *modern* SUV, say the new VW or Porsche one. Then try to keep up with a Turbo Cayenne with a typical sport sedan.

Reply to
Lon Stowell

That dealers can exact high profit margins on SUVs is only proof of their popularity.

When faced with a "foe" of higher mass, the SUV will also be a loser in the "crashing for fun and profit" game.

The study and your statements are much less than definitive and only reflect something that common sense should tell us. People will continue to base their purchasing decisions on what they want/need and survivability will, for descomistados, be a passing thought. I need a pick up.... why would I look at a Volvo?? The guy down the street has 5 kids.... why would he look at a Camry?? The guy across the road manages a service rig... he can't make do without a 1 ton crew cab.

What was your intention with your original (cross)post? What it lacks in substance, it makes up for by being inciteful.

Jim Warman

Yes, he should have bought the Hummer with armoured glass. I agree.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Tell me Dave, out of those several (3?), which two rolled over and what one crashed head on into another SUV? Oh and how did you survive such a horrendous experience against all odds?

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Your ignorance is what will kill you one of these days. Rainy on a curve with you driving? What is the current record for a small car rolling over in a ditch? 15 times I think? Let me know if you break it.

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

What percentage of SUV drivers choose the new VW or Porsche? Heck, in ten years, what percentage of SUVs on the road in the U.S. will be the new VW or Porsche or similar? No, most SUVs will still be the 30-year-old truck technology shitboxes designed and manufactured on this continent, unfortunately. Not if *I* was buying one, and not if most readers of this ng were buying one, either. But that's another story. -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Most SUVs are and will be car based in design. Virtually every manufacturer now has at least two car or mini van based SUVs and the trend will unfortunately continue until we are forced into calling a unibody soda can with a sewing machine engine in it a "truck".

Reply to
Chris Phillipo

Well I'm not the average driver, so I was able to keep the SUVs on the road and (amazingly) upright. Go figure. :) -Dave

Reply to
Dave C.

Whenever I look at theses two "SUVs" I keep thinking the AMC Eagle was ahead of its time.

Reply to
Richard May

of course you aren't the average driver - you are above average .... just like everybody else.

Reply to
Dave Milne

Y'know, that's something I was thinking, too. Many SUVs are suffering from their own popularity. Would ANY SUV be appropriate for severe off-road use if it was manufactured recently? I don't know. What I have noticed though, is some of the larger SUVs are substituting soft-ride car suspensions for the previous hardened truck suspensions. OK, so it's more appropriate for the way the vehicle is actually used by most owners. But what about the few who actually want to take the thing off-road? -Dave (would go off-road if he owned an SUV)

Reply to
Dave C.