Re: Vibration / Thumping on acceleration - update

It a long shot, but theoreticaly it's possible an ABS valve is stuck. Like I said, a long shot. More likely the brake shop doesn't want to cover their work.

Mike

On 22 Aug 2003 11:52:20 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@netscape.net (Tom Huber) wrote: > > >OK - the plot thickens a bit. Last night I was driving the truck on > >the highway up a slight hill. It felt like it was laboring. I > >started to smell something burning and pulled over. Smoke was coming > >from my left front caliper - it apparently froze. Brakes were done > >about 6K miles ago so I brought it back to the tire shop where I had > >the work done this morning. They looked it over and told me that the > >pistons in both front calipers were not releasing after the brake was > >released. They thought it odd that it would occur with both cailpers > >and also that the pistons were relatively easily pushed back into the > >calipers. They suggested I take it to Ford for a complete > >diagnositc/electronic check. They weren't sure if replacing the > >calipers would be the total cure. Again, any ideas would be > >appreciated. It goes to the dealer on Monday. > > I'd be interested to understand how the calipers weren't releasing, > yet the poistons were easily pushed back in? > > I'd check to see if the carrier pins were properly lubed.
Reply to
Mike

Not necessarily the tire shops fault, though it does seem astrange coincidence. I doubt that it could be an ABS issue since the ABS valves default to wide open. There could be, however a master cylinder or booster concern.... if the concern is within the master cylinder, there remains the possibility it is from the tech not opening the bleeder screw when the caliper pistons were retacted. I had problems with fluid contamination a few years ago and now the 'old' fluid goes into a pan and not back up the brake lines...

see if the carrier pins were properly lubed.

Reply to
Jim Warman

I've found that if my slide pins aren't cleaned well and very lightly greased every now and then,the calipers won't function properly.every 10k "clean" and lightly grease them with caliper grease.

Reply to
anonymizer