98 Explorer Check Engine Light

My check engine light has been on for the last two days. All fluids are fine, new plugs and wires for over two months. 97,000 miles. Any ideas on this?

Thanks

Reply to
MagnaVee

Unfortunately, there are hundreds of reasons for the CEL to turn on. If you read the codes, stored in the computer, you can then start diagnosing the problem, assuming that you have the manuals, some knowledge, and some tools. Just about the only guess worth trying is to check if the gas cap is tight.

Reply to
IK

Supposedly, if the CEL comes on due to a loose gas cap, simply tighten the cap, and after two or three re-starts, the light will go off. Unfortunately, the first time this happened on our '98, that didn't fix it. I forget what Ford changed, probably the EGR valve. The really bad news is that, with 50,000 miles, the CEL came back on this morning.

Doug

Reply to
Doug Judd