Check Engine Light

I have a 1998 Ford Expedition with a 4.6 liter V8 engine. The check engine light came on as the vehicle started to misfire or hesitate. I took it to a local mechanic to have the problem checked out. He told me I need new plugs and wires. I went and purchased those items and installed them. This did not solve my problem. So I took it to Autozone for the free check on it,and it came back cylinder three misfire. They told me to make sure the plug wire was connected good. I reset the check engine light and the light came on again. Autozone checked it again and told me cylinder five misfire. Again they told me to make sure the plug wire is connected good. Since then I have taken my vehicle to Autozone three more times with check engine light on. The machine has told them I needed a EGR Valve,Ignition Coil and EGR Sensor. I have replaced all the items I have listed and the problem has not been solved. Could someone shine some light on my issues. Thank You

Reply to
mwoodward

I think the autozone guy should be fired or promoted depending on your point of view.

Reply to
Grolch

I guess free advice is worth every penny you paid for it...

It is time (long past time, actually) to perform some real diagnosis for your concern...

I'd love to have their "machine"... our much more expensive factory supplied "machines" only give us an idea of where the problem might be...

Reply to
Jim Warman

IT WORKED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They got your money :-)

Thats why they do it for freeeeeeeeeeee

Reply to
JohanB

Mark,

Sympathies about your misfortune. Let me interpret what the humorous responses said: A modern automotive engine is complicated, and there is no substitute for understanding how it works and having the proper tools, manuals and experience when diagnosing it. Reading the trouble codes stored in the computer is an essential first step, but those alone never tell you what part (if any) failed. On the bright side of things, Jim and many others on this site are great guys and willing to help. Next time you go to Autozone, ask for the numeric codes and don't buy anything. Post the codes here, along with as much additional information as you can think of (engine type and age, any recent service, detailed description of your concern etc), and you will certainly get some useful advice. Best of Luck,

not been solved.

Reply to
Happy Traveler