Remote starters

Hi all I have a 96 Eddie bauer that I would like to get a remote starter put on. Any pros or cons to the after market starters and Fords of that year? Thanks A; Sproule

Reply to
Al Sproule

I had an Auto Command for years... had it in my 93 SuperCab and it followed me to my 92 Explorer... It was a good little unit - decent range - all the bells and whistles. I'm not sure if their quality is the same as it was.

I have the Ford Silver in my SuperCrew... lousy range and, if I back into my driveway, it will nearly never work through the darkened glass.

A friend went with the BullDog starter.... Came with an instructional tape for DIY installation. I believe that there are piggy back connectors for some applications... unplug the ignition switch, plug in the piggyback connector and plug the ignition switch into that.

Some have a valet feature that will start the car if battery voltage fall below a set point. A cold weather feature that can be set to run the car periodically if there is no plug in available for the block heater. Bidirectional capabilities that will tell you if the car started and, IIRC, some have an iintruder alert.

This is a burgeoning market... whichever one you choose, get a written guarrantee of the range of the unit.... Additionally, all connections must be soldered if this thing is to provide trouble free service.

Downside.... Mrs. mechanic is a great one for starting the truck and resuming her visit..... The unit will time out and she will restart the truck - only to resume her visit.... ad infinitum... Gas mileage will NOT be good.

Reply to
Jim Warman

ROTFLMAO Thanks Jim, LOL you never fail to disappoint. AL.

Reply to
Al Sproule