Replacing a 96 Ford Explorer radiator

I have a 96 Ford Explorer with a 5.0 engine and I have a small leak in my radiator. It is not running hot but the resevoir is empty in 3 days. I purchased a new radiator but to save on labor expenses, I choose to do the work myself. Any instructions on how to replace it will be appreciated.

Reply to
WillieC

My son and I replaced my radiator in my 96 Explorer that also at the

5.0L. It was a real bitch. The difficult part was getting the air conditioner condenser off of the radiator - and then getting the condenser back on the radiator. Ford could have done a much better design job to make a radiator r&r much easier. Other than the condenser, it was a easy job.
Reply to
To Arms!!

It appears as though Ford may have. My 1998 Ford TSP Workshop Manual shows that the A/C condenser 'slides into locators' molded into the radiator frame. That is, the condenser clips on the radiator.

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

FYI: That is the same way the A/C is mounted to the radiator on a 96 Explorer 5.0, As also stated in my '96 factory Explorer service manual.

I too had to change the radiator on my truck and it was a hassle. The main problem is having to slide the condenser off the radiator when there is not much space for later movement in the first place.

What Ford should have done was to separately mount the A/C condenser the radiator support frame directly like on other cars I have worked on.

Having the A/C condenser mounted to the radiator may be convenient at the assembly plant but is a real hassle during service

Reply to
Fred 2