94 muffler ?

My daughter says her muffler is going out and is looking for a cheap replacement as the vehicle probably won't last much over a year or two. Midas quoted about $130.00. Are the mufflers welded on or are they clamped and an easy replacement? I've searched the net a bit and see a Walker for about $35.00 but no details. Any tips appreciated. tnx Hank

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

Ask at your local auto parts store. I have always clamped my own mufflers in place, usually less than $50, unless I need pipe too. I can believe $130 if it is pipe and muffler.

Reply to
John Riggs

The muffler might be cheap. But keep in mind you will probably need a sawzall or similiar tool to get the old clamps off, especially if its original. Unless you want to do it yourself, $130 does not sound too bad.

Reply to
Mikepier

Reply to
Henry Kolesnik

There are two bolts attaching the muffler/tailpipe assembly just past the second catylic converter on my '91. Maybe if you start squirting Liquid Wrench on it every day for a couple of weeks the bolts might come out ;-)

To me it looks like it should cost more that $30, even from AZ. When I looked for a muffler there they had a long list of parts and a whole bunch of clamps. By the time you get all the parts (if you can figure out what you need) my guess is it will cost as much as one that is like the original (assuming there is an aftermarket part that is the same as the OEM). With El Cheapo you may also need a hack saw, some band-aids, eye wash, pain pills, and tranquilizers.

Reply to
Ulysses

I'm pretty sure the muffler is welded to the pipes. Some of the hangers might be clamped on. You can probably cut thru the pipes to remove the old muffler with a hacksaw, buy a new muffler, a couple short pieces of pipe, some clamps, and piece things back together.

Reply to
Ashton Crusher

Reply to
Big Shoe