Replacing the door latch assembly on 98EB

I have a 98 Explorer with a busted door latch assembly, the spring that moves the mechanism that unlocks the drivers door has busted. I pulled off the door panel and diagoned the problem and I know that it need a new door latch assembly. But my question is how to get in there and disconnect all of the rods to the one in the door.

Is there a particular sequence of rods you have to disconnect first?

Thanks

Reply to
scott.headington

From my 1998 TSP Workshop Manual CD. Tool recommended is a Heavy Duty Riveter.

Door Latch Removal and Installation:

Front door:

  1. Remove the door lock cylinder.

  1. If equipped, remove the power door lock actuator.

A. Disconnect the electrical connector.

B. Drill out the rivet.

C. Disconnect the actuator rod.

D. Remove the actuator.

Rear door:

  1. If equipped, remove the power door lock actuator.

All doors:

  1. Remove the door latch remote control.

A. Remove the screws.

B. Disconnect the door latch remote control link from the door latch remote control.

C. Remove the door latch remote control.

  1. Disconnect the door latch actuating rod from the door latch.

  1. Remove the rear glass run channel.

A. Remove the bolt.

B. Remove the rear glass run channel.

  1. Remove the screws and the door latch.

  1. Disconnect the door latch push button rod from the door latch.

  2. Note: Connect the remote control rod, door latch push button rod and lock cylinder rod to the front door latch (21812) before installing the new latch.

Note: When the battery is disconnected and reconnected, some abnormal drive symptoms may occur while the vehicle relearns its adaptive strategy. The vehicle may need to be driven 16 km (10 mi) or more to relearn the strategy.

To install, reverse the removal procedure.

Use the special tool to install the new rivet. (Heavy Duty Riveter

501-D011 (D80L-23200-A) or equivalent)

Good luck,

Steven

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

Thanks for the all the information Steven, I will give it a shot this weekend!

I really appreciate it.

-Scott

Steven Hilgendorf wrote:

Reply to