A faulty window on a 92

Here's a problem with a front right window on a 92 4 door XLT. The motor and switches are working okay.

My wife came back from shopping and said that she could not get the window down all the way and then it would not go back up. Someone in the parking lot had helped her get it back up.

Come the weekend I tried to see what was going on. I lowered the window and it went down about 2-3 inches and stopped. When I tried to raise it back up, the rear edge of the glass did not stay in the channel, but was on the outside of the rubber. The top of the glass was protruding out beyond the channel at the rear.

I removed the door trim and freed the water shield. I could get the window to come down a little again. Trying to see what is going on inside the door is difficult. It is bad enough when things are going right, but in this situation you cannot really see what is in there. I have the shop manual, but not being able to get a good view of the mechanism the drawing and text do not make for a good understanding.

We got the glass back up by having one person on the switch and the other guiding the glass into the right position. I need a better understanding of what is going on before I tackle this again. Since I was afraid of having the window jam in an open position, I unplugged the motor connector to avoid an inadvertent opening and buttoned up the door trim again.

What do you think is going on here? I have repaired all four window motors in the past so I can pull the motor out to free the glass from that. I need to understand how the glass got to slip out of the channel and what it will take to rectify the situation.

Charlie

Reply to
Charlie Bress