SOHC Towing Capacity

Thinking about travelling south to pick up an old muscle car in need of serious TLC. Can a Ex Sport with a 4.0L engine haul an open car trailer and a 3400 lb car? The distance is about 600 (mostly flat) miles one way. Would I be better to rent something with a little more grunt? Thanks for the input!

Steve R

-- Read Marketing & MarketingWarehouse.com

44 Queen Street North Bolton ON L7E 1B9 Tel: (800) 355-5127 Fax: (800) 880-9420 Save Time Save Money at
Stephen Read

I believe my '00 Explorer XLT (SOHC) is rated at 5,500 lbs. max towing. As long as your trailer isn't 1,600 lbs AND you don't drive like a madman, you should be fine.

What kind of muscle car you picking up?!

Larry

Reply to
Larry St. Regis

Best thing to do is to check the sticker on the driver side door and find out the code for your rear axle ratio. Then consult the owners manual for the match and the amount of weight the truck can pull using that ratio. It varies, but there is a chart there that is straightforward. I have the towing package and the 4.0 L V-6, and it tows my powerboat, which weighs about the same as your car, very well. If you have a similar setup you should be okay.

Two things I would caution you on:

Brakes - make sure the trailer has either electric or hydraulic surge brakes. With that amount of weight it would be putting too much of a strain on the tow vehicle's brakes, as well as being illegal in most jurisdictions.

Transmission - DON'T use overdrive unless you want to have a appointment with your local transmission shop. Ford says they don't recommend towing in overdrive. My mechanic says anyone who tows with the overdrive on has money to burn. I was lucky, I just blew out the seals on my tranny, cleaning, inspection, new seals, set me back $700 American. If you don't have a transmission cooler, get one. They are easy to install, and cheap insurance.

Take your time, don't treat the Explorer like a rented donkey, and you shouldn't have any problems.

Reply to
Richard Ray