Sticking Accerlator Pedal

I am experiencing a problem with my 99 Explorer. The accellerator pedal sticks a little when first attempting to depress it to get the vehicle rolling. Not sure if it is significant, but this is most often (but not always) experienced after backing out of my driveway and then shifting into forward. The pedal sticks and extra pressure has to be exerted to get it past the sticking point resulting in a very "jerky" start. Has anyone else experienced this issue? Any suggestions as to waht is causing this and what might be possible to correct the problem? Thanks in advance.

DB

Reply to
Don Backous

I've seen this problem after someone has adjusted the throttle opening tighter to compensate for a vacuum leak. The throttle bore contracts as it cools trapping the throttle blade..... once free, it wont become trapped agin until after the engine cools.

HTH

Reply to
Jim Warman

This happened in my 97 shortly after new. If I'm remembering correctly, Ford had a recall. The plate was actually wearing a little groove in the housing, or something like that. After the dealer did the work, the problem went away, for 140,000 miles. Now it is doing it again, as you describe.

I don't really worry about it. Just give a little push to get it unstuck and then, as Jim mentions, everything is fine - untl the next time it cools down.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Check for carbon build-up in the throttle bore where the throttle blade comes closest to the bore. H

Reply to
Hairy

Reply to
Big Shoe