Stucjk in 4WD Low

I parked my 96 Explorer in 4WD low last night. It will not come out of

4WD low now. The switch is not disengaging it. It is 14 degrees outside. Could that be the problem? John
Reply to
john

I would think so. I have, as several others have reported, had the worm gear get really gummy stalling the motor. Others have used a shot of WD40, I used 3in1 oil.

Lubricating the worm gear requires disassembly of the motor itself. To reassemble, you will have to mess with the business of getting the brushes back on the armature while ballancing the whole thing in a rather awkward position. Recommend lots of patience. But I and others have done it.

Professor3700

The problem has corrected itself. I spun the wheels on some ice and it disengaged. It made a grinding noise for a second and it has been fine since. Lucky me I guess. John

Reply to
john