'96 Explorer: Unable to release engine hood

I went to get an oil change the other day only to discover that the engine hood would not open. When you pull the latch release inside the vehicle, nothing happens...it's as if the cable has stretched or something. A guy at the oil change place was able to finally get the latch released by pulling very hard on the cable under the dash, but I have not been able to do it myself since then.

Anyone know what might be wrong? And how to fix it?

TIA! Bob

Reply to
Bob

Have an assistant jounce the hood downwards as you pull on the cable. Once the hood is open, us some WD40 to clean and lube the latch mechanism. Inspect the release cable to be sure it isn't stretched or damaged. If it is, replace it to avoid future concerns. There is no joy in being stranded.

Reply to
Jim Warman

My '91 Explorer had this same issue. My stubborn use of brute force only resulted in a busted cable and having to open the hood with pliers.

Reply to
Just Surfing