Timing chain noise

I bought a 99 SOHC with 92,000 miles on it. The 30 day warranty is about to expire, so I took it into a mechanic. He says the timing chain is noisy,
and should possibly be replaced. He does not have the equipment for it, so he can't tell me much about it.
I have read a bunch of information on the internet, but have some questions...
1) Does it actually have to be replaced? The noise isn't all that bad, so if that's all there is to it... But if it will fail and do damage, that is another story.
2) What does it cost?
3) Does Ford cover it? I have seen references to Ford extending the warranty to 72,000 miles AND to 100,000 miles. What is the story here?
Thanks much
I as understand it, the root of the problem is the timing chain tensioner. As that starts to fail, the timing chain becomes loose and you hear the noise. As it gets looser, it starts causing damage to itself and other things. It doesn't get better. The repair is very expensive (give a quick call or visit to a Ford dealer and get a rough estimate--you won't be happy). I hadn't heard that the warranty was extended to 100,000 miles--good news for you if it's true.
Toller wrote:

Sadly it was only extended to 72,000 miles. I called Ford and they couldn't help me.

tensioner.
quick
couldn't
What's the 30 warranty? Is that a used car warranty from a used car dealer? Will that cover it? It should not be too difficult to find a lot of information to back up your claim that the chains/tensioners need to be replaced. Just do a search for "explorer timing chain" and you should find lots of old posts on the subject.
Aside from that I read somewhere that the warranty for the timing chains had been extended by Ford but I think there also may have been a time limit. I thought I had the page saved but I can't seem to find it now :-(

If you (or anyon else) can find the page, please send it to me. I have an 01 Sporttrac that rattles.... I have 65.5k miles on it.

A little research shows silent warranty 00m12.... I see mileages of 75k and 100k. If I post a VIN, can someone look in OASIS and see if my vehicle is covered?

I spent the morning on the phone with Ford. Unless they are lying to me (entirely possible) it is 72k on 99. If anyone finds out differently, please post here!
Yeah, the 30 day warranty is from the used car dealer. He is just an individual who thought he could make some money selling cars. He gave me a whole long song and dance about how he gave me a sub-market price on the car and can't afford to throw in this repair. It is all bull; when selling it he emphasised how important the warranty he was giving me was. But, if he refuses, it will be a real head ache; and I would have to convince a judge that is is more than a little noise. And then I would have to give the car back. I cannot fix it and sue him for the cost; he fixes it or refunds my money.
If the rattle is only on start-up its usually just a tensioner. If it rattles all the time its usually a broken guide caused by a bad tensioner
and yes, that is expensive and not really a " do it yourself" thingy because the special cam tools you need

so
is
Oh yeah, it might be covered by tsb 01M01

about
noisy,
so

I think it is just on start up. So is the tensioner bad? Will it fail? Will it damage anything?
In their notice, Ford says the 99 can have a bad tensioner. They say it will not do any damage, but they will replace it (up to 72K miles) just for customer satisfaction. Are they right? I mean, I can live with a little rattle on start up. But if it will fail later on, thats another story.

IIRC the 99 could have the updated(steel) timing cassette In that case the bad tensioner would not cause any damage. If it's a late 98 it could have the plastic timing cassete and they will break because of the bad tensioner
I cant look up the details anymore because I dont work for Ford anymore and dont have access to TSB's Maybe if they start paying again to fix there warrenty shit I'll go back
If you go to the Alt.autos.ford newsgroup there are more techs there that will give you the details if asking correctly Not a lot of people get this news group
Also try http://flatratetech.com/cgi-bin/ubbcgi/ultimatebb.cgi

for