strange enginr "rattle" timing chain?

I have a strange engine "rattle". It's very quiet and isn't like anything I've heard. it doesn't disapear above idle. Could this be the timing chain?

Jeep is 89YJ 4.2I, 293,000KM

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III
293KM.. not miles. no real way to isolate it? it burns no oil, loads of power, lots of compression...

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Pi-Eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:

Possible small crack in exhaust header

What does it do in N, D, R

Reply to
DougW

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Pi-Eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:

Might have to give the manifold bolts another snugging.

Although usually that type of a noise will go away as the header warms up and expands.

Reply to
DougW

I'll try that....I just dont want it to be engine noise, I wanted another year before I heard any of that...

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

could be...I retourqued them a week later but who knows....If thats all it is, awesome.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Reply to
RoyJ

not the header, checked lastnight....theres about 20 degrees of turn in the timing chain....gonna give that a try.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Even new, the chain has an easy 15, but 20 is pushing it.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

wow, I thought that seemed like a lot...I'm at a loss

it's not exhaust, wrong side.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

Pi-Eyed Piper did pass the time by typing:

Do you have one of these? If not, you should get one.

Take a listen to the distributor, actually take a look into the base and see if there is oil in there. On the I6 a rattle (tapping/ticking) sound will happen when the bushing goes out.

Reply to
DougW

yep, I have one.

this rattle isn't really rythmic at all. Not like a lifter. it's more like the sound of a nut or bolt bouncing around in a tight spot, but really quiet. I'm gonna do the timing chain anyway, if thats not it (which it probably isn't) its one less thing I'll need to worry about

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I was amazed when I changed one and still had almost 17 deg of slop. That is with new steel wheels and chain.

They can start rattling on the cast guide when they get too stretched though. The marks on the inside cover will tell you, if the cast guide isn't worn, the chain is fine.

A cheap auto stethoscope that most parts stores sell is great for pegging noise.

I once told a new acquaintance I met from this group when I met him that I heard bearing knocks at #1, #3, #4, #6 and maybe another up front on his recently 'rebuilt' 258.

I laughed and said ok, this stethoscope is just too much, I hear too much, LOL!

Well, a couple weeks later he spun a bearing and the 'rebuild' had mixed up bearing caps so all the knocks I heard were valid.....

I helped rebuild that engine between Xmas and New Years at -20C in an unheated garage.... He only lived around the corner, literally.

Mike

Pi-Eyed Piper wrote:

Reply to
Mike Romain

I hope the cover is scored...I dont want anyone to tell me im gonna be rebuilding this engine. one more year, just ONE more.

Reply to
Pi-Eyed Piper

I had a valve rocker work it's way loose. Clattered something nasty. Didn't wreck anything though. But this was on a 2.8L V6 so it may be less relevant.

Never underestimate the value of using a stethoscope to isolate the source of a noise. Narrow down exactly what side of the engine it's coming from (top/back/bottom/front/etc). Replacing a timing chain as a preventative is probably more work than needed.

Reply to
wkearney99

Reply to
L.W.( ßill ) Hughes III

one thing you might want to check is your fan itself. The name is evading me right now, but they have the temp sensitive fan clutch on them. Mine went out at 80 thousand miles....

Reply to
Robb S via CarKB.com