Trailer for '93 4WD Explorer

I don't have a trailer hitch. However I want to install just a ball to my rear bumper and haul a light trailer for small plants, small lumber etc. What max weight can I haul in this setup?

Reply to
Zilla

My '97 bumper hitch is rated for a 350 lbs tongue load and a 3500 lb trailer, so I assume your '93 is similar. Note that the rating of the step bumper-mounted hitch may exceed the manufacturers rating for the truck itself. I've pulled a 3000-lb rated trailer with a ball mounted to my Explorer step bumper for many years and after 200K miles I have had no problems at all.

=Vic= Bear Gap, PA

Reply to
Vic Klein

Look at the bumper in the area of the hole for mounting the trailer ball. The weight ratings should be stamped into the metal. You should also consult your owners guide.

Ed

Reply to
C. E. White

Yes, the owner's guide for my '94 has a table of towing info. It depends on the transmission, rear end, and whether it is 2 or 4 doors,

2 or 4WD. It also depends on the load in the vehicle, weight in the vehicle subtracts from max trailer weight.

I think the '93 numbers should be the same as in '94. Some examples:

My '94 4 door, 4WD, manual transmission, 3.27:1 rear end:

6000lb max combined weight, 1700lb max trailer weight.

Probably the most common configuration: A '94 4 door, 4WD, auto transmission, 3.27:1 rear end:

7500lb max combined weight, 3200lb max trailer weight.

So the auto transmission can actually tow a lot more weight than the manual.

One thing that bugs me is it doesn't say how much the vehicle weighs empty. You could estimate that you have four 150lb adults and 500 lb of luggage, but what do you add that 1100 lbs to to get the total weight of the loaded Explorer?

-Paul

Reply to
carbide

My experience has been that anything above 1000 pounds will start to cause distortion to the bumper.

Reply to
hueyusmc

LOL! Thanks, that's what I needed to know. I won't be pulling anything quite that heavy so I should be ok.

Reply to
Zilla