PO153 code message

I have a 1997 Explorer that displays the engine code P0153 when hooked up to an analyzer. Also my fuel cap light is on and a loud valve chatter has begun to develop. I know that some of this could be as result of a bad EGR valve, what do you think

-- washjo

View this thread:

Send from

washjo

Not sure where the EGR valve fits into this.... P0153 shows HO2S11 has failed a response test... possible causes include air and/or vacuum leaks, fuelling concerns... One would need to check the performance of HO2S21 to see if the concern is indeed common to both banks.... An EGR concern would affect both banks on one of these motors... I don't believe they are running ported EGR...

I the fuel cap light is on.... well, I guess I would check the fuel cap.... if that tests OK, I'd think about a gross EVAP leak - which could also trigger the P0153.

Sorry, no thoughts on the valve chatter.... oil condition and level.... base oil pressure.... these are only a couple of considerations..

to an analyzer. Also my fuel cap light is on and a loud valve chatter has begun to develop. I know that some of this could be as result of a bad EGR valve, what do you think?

Reply to
Jim Warman

Jim, I am also experiencing the same P0153 code on my 96' 4.0 ohv model. (only

50k miles) I replaced O2 sensor on the indicated bank twice but code comes back within 100 miles. I feel no discernable loss of engine performance or mileage though. What other likely causes should I be closely monitoring?
Reply to
gordo