If your Explorer won't start...

I just wanted to quickly tell you guys about an experience I had with my Explorer, just in case it happens to any of you. Not a big deal, and I'm sure most of you would know what's going on immediately, but for a mechanical rookie like myself, it might save some time and money.

About seven months ago, while buying groceries, I came out to my '93 Limited and was hurt to discover that it wouldn't start - no engine turning, no dimmed lights, nothing - just a click from under the hood. The lights and radio worked beautifully, which left me more confused than ever. A kind soul in the parking lot suggested I give the starter a whack or two with something like a wrench, which I did, and voila.

As a testament to Ford quality, that method has been getting my truck starting until this past Sunday, when I finally had to have it towed to a local garage to have a new starter put in. Why did I wait seven months? In part because I was a complete idiot, and partly because the Ford dealership quoted me $740 CAD for the job (my new mechanic charged me $399 CAD including the tow.)

So, just a heads up...if you turn the key, and only get a click in response, that just might be your problem.

As a sidenote, the purple beast as I like to call it has been running without fail through all these years, and 320,000km - and is still going strong. I have an '03 sport, but I can't bring myself to get rid of the '93. I'm thinking of slowly converting her into a more robust off-road solution - maybe raise her and toss on some mudkickers.

BTW, has anyone had success finding an aftermarket solution to mount the spare tire on the back of the Explorer, Jeep style?

Reply to
SillyMonkey

Had to give the starter on my 77 VW Bus a whack or two when this happened a couple months ago. :)

Also, when you get that "click" sound, but everything else works, it could be corrosion build up on your battery terminals preventing full current from reaching the starter.

r/

-IanCT

Reply to
IanCT

Been there, done that. Note: always crawl out from under the bus before yelling, "Try it again!"

Reply to
Bob Kegel

NOW you tell me. =-]~

My wife doesn't drive a manual tranny, I wouldn't ask her to help me troubleshoot one, especially one without a clutch safety switch... :)

Reply to
IanCT

I also thought that on earlier Explorers, the wire from the positive battery terminal could corrode causing similar problems.

Regards, AB.

Reply to
AB

Actually, the wire from the starter solenoid to the ignition switch (the little push-on one) corroded on my 92 - turn key, no sound at all. Wire brush (being careful of live nearby battery cables) brought it back to life. I Still can't believe that push-on thingy isn't sealed from the weather...

Reply to
Robert A. Matern

As for the external spare... I found a receiver hitch spare tire carrier (for a Jeep, as if it matters) that works out quite nicely. Even has a pass-thru receiver so you can still tow, and variable tilt-down so you can still access the back of the vehicle without removing it from the hitch.

Reply to
Robert A. Matern