Vibration when idling

2002 Ford Explorer 4Dr, 4x4, XLS, 4.0L SOHC V6, 49,000 miles

I've noticed for the last 15,000 miles at least, a noticeable shake/vibration when idling. It seems to go away when I give it gas and get over 2000 RPM's. Anytime under 2K RPM's, the vibration is felt every 1 to 2 seconds. Even when at 2K RPM's,. vibration is noticed, just not as often, maybe once every 3 to 4 seconds. When I get up to 3K rpm's, I don't feel the vibration at all.

Someone asked me if I have had my fuel injectors serviced any. Answer to that was no, and I was told I should look into having them serviced. Could that really be what is causing this?

I don't use poor quality gas, I use, 90% of the time at least, Shell, other times I'll use Conoco, and always use regular unleaded (never messed with the higher octane). I've also had my fuel filter changed, not even a year ago. I don't know what else I could check to get rid of this.

I just hate to have to go into the dealer and fork over $160 for this service. What exactly would they do in this "service"? Anything else I should check before I have this done?

Your thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Reply to
Tim

Rather than trying to diagnose this problem and dump lots of money into chasing guesses, try something unique....... document when, where and how you experience the vibration - go to your shop and have them diagnose and treat the problem using your information as one of their diagnostic tools.

I cannot recount how many times I am making a requested, yet blatantly unrequired, repair all the while thinking to myself "boy, how come he ain't p*ssed about THAT???". Naturally, the customer comes back later, totally incensed that we spent a bundle doing and his car still does - of course, that's our fault. My particular favourite is wheel alignments - often requested to fix a wheel balance problem.

If a customer requests a particular service, he will likely receive that particular service even when it has nothing to do with the concern.

Reply to
Jim Warman

This sounds like the normal idle for Ford trucks. I don't think anything will change it. Unless their is a significant difference in the idle compared to when you first bought the truck. But both my Fords (F150 and Exp) idle as you described below.

With the development of variable valve timing and valve lift, as on the new 2004 MY 5.4 liter F150, the idle will smooth out. But for now, we have to live with one cam timing and lift for all engine speed and load conditions.

Else, before you order any work, you could ask a Ford technician to sit in the vehicle and determine if the idle is normal.

Tom

Reply to
Tom

i would change the plugs and wires, then add some injector cleaner to my ga before taking it in for service. low cost fix if thats the problem, if not, you need em replaced every so often anyways. Just sounded like maybe a missfire, so i thought maybe all cylinders not running. Try it.

Reply to
raticus

Tim, I had a similiar problem with my 99 SOHC. It turned out it was the coil pack was defective. I took it to the dealer and they diagnosed the problem in a short time. I know how you feel about taking your car to the dealer but somtimes they are the best option because they have the besy diagnostic tools and its better than dumping a lot of money into your truck without knowing if you will fix the problem. Just my opinion. Good luck.

Reply to
MikePier

Tim,

Just picked up an '02 XLS with 8K miles. It also idles exactly the same as you described. I thought it was just me. Let me know how this turns out.

Ken

Reply to
knagy389us