Weird '02 Explorer Problem

Here's one for the conspiracy folks ...

Have an '02 Explorer Limited for about 18 months now. Retired military guy. Been all over the Northwest and on a number of military installations. Never had any kind of "issue" with the Explorer art all.

Saturday, we went up to Whidbey Island Naval Air Station. (Really beautiful area, by the way!!) Drove around the area a bit, decided to stop at the base shopping center for a while. Got out and hit the LOCK on the remote .. nothing, Nada. Zip. No lock, no unlock, no "panic" mode. Nothing. Tried wife's, same result. Keypad worked fine. Hmmm. Something to do this week to get it fixed.

Left the base and drove home ... keypad now works normally. No problems at all.

Hmmm. Wonder what kinds of things those Navy guys are up to? Don't think it's a normal kind of "airfield" thing as I'm on McChord AFB almost daily and never had an issue.

Interesting ....

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I would not expect much of a different RF environment on an Air Force base ... but have had no problems at all. Also, there was NO flying activity the day we were there.

Still think it's a NAVY conspiracy ...

:-)

Ken

Reply to
Ken

I have had the same problem once in a downtown parking lot here. wth

Reply to
wth

I've seen this kind of behavior in some shopping center parking lots.

In most places, my remote works for several hundred feet. But near one local mall, and especially in front of one store, I have to be within about thirty feet of my '02 EB for it to work. Another Parts America store does the same thing---but I have to be within ten feet.

Several other manufacturers use this kind of remote, so this is not an Explorer or Ford problem. It's just that some locations have higher concentrations of some kind of communication or electromagnetic activity.

Reply to
JonnyCab®