What the heck...very high RPM while driving

Hey guys, Has anyone ever experienced this? I was driving coming down a small grade so had foot off gas pedal and just resting on brake, when all of sudden engine starts revving at 2.5 rpms and climbing, I put on the brake but my 1999 Ford Explorer Sport, automatic tranny, sohc, doesn't respond to braking keeps going, so I miraculously slide over in traffic to a side street, put the transmission in neutral and the RPMs go to 5 and which point I got the truck stopped and put into park and turned it off. Didn't smell so good under the hood either. Kind of like a clutch buring if I had one. Well it was pitch black and I am an hour from home with 4 passengers. So we get out my cousin starts messing with throttle cable and I call AAA. Well after about 20 minutes my cousin starts the truck and it is fine. Which was a huge relief cause towing would have been outrageous. I drove the truck an hour home no problems and it has been sitting since. It's going to the mechanic or its going to be a trade in, not sure which way I am heading. A couple $100s fix and that is fine, but if it's a couple $1000 ... not so fine. So just wondering if anyone had this experience so I know what to prepare for at the mechanic. I hate going to the mechanic. (live in Los Angeles and am a girl.....not fun) Hoping someone will say, oh hey that is just the TPS and that is really be the problem. :D Thanks in advance. Annette.

1999 Ford Explorer Sport Auto, 6 cyl, SOHC 75k miles, 4.0L Black. ;)
Reply to
tinybirds

Big Shoe

I don't see where the tow company was called to cancel the truck...... I envision some poor slob driving out somewhere only to find out he has lost money.

As far as the throttle sticking is concerned..... this thing just finished scaring the pants off somebody and miraculously healed itself..... now we're going to see if it will do it again....

Not that any particular time of the year is a good time to take unecessary chances.... it is Christmas.... a piss poor time to be in a hospital bed or on a slab...

Reply to
Jim Warman

Hello, The Explorer is at the shop, just was wondering if anyone had a similar experience as to the problem. I hate surprises when at the mechanic. I prefer having an ulcer beforehand. hehee And sorry for not telling the complete story, but the Tow truck driver was cancelled, I was still on the phone with AAA and the lady even suggested I drive home if possible. So that poor slob isn't out there looking for me and cursing the day I was born. He'll appreciate your concern. And you're right Christmas is a piss poor time to be in the hospital, well any time is a piss poor time but that just my opinion. Thanks for your concern. Happy Holidays! Smiles, Annette

Reply to
tinybirds