Which Tires to Buy

I need new tires on my old '91 EB 4WD. (207,000 miles and counting) I currently have Michelin LTX, and I love them, but they are VERY expensive.

What other tires would people recomend for the Explorer???

Thanks in advance,

Mike

Reply to
Tiger

I don't have any experience with them but Costco is having their yearly sale on Bridgestone and Michelin tires. Go to

and look up 225-70-15 and similar sizes and I think there are some Bridgestones for around $85 each. If you buy 4 tires you get $15 off each tire. They also have the Michelin LTX but they are about $110 each.

-- Elbridge Gerry, of Massachusetts:

"What, sir, is the use of militia? It is to prevent the establishment of a standing army, the bane of liberty. . . Whenever Government means to invade the rights and liberties of the people, they always attempt to destroy the militia, in order to raise a standing army upon its ruins." -- Debate, U.S. House of Representatives, August 17, 1789

Reply to
AZGuy

Gad.... I could only wish..... Got a new set of LTX 255 75 R16s last summer. By the time Gouge and Screw Tax and tire tax was done with me I was sitting hard by 900 loonies.

BTW, I'm more than happy I went with the Michelins....

Jim Warman

Reply to
Stephen M. Gluck

Jim, if you don't mind me asking, what exactly is "Gouge and Screw Tax"?

Thanks,

Steven

Jim Warman wrote:

Reply to
Steven Hilgendorf

The best tires I've have been the Goodyears they used to install but my local tire center doesn't warrantee them. I've had ok experiences with the Michelins. Tried Pirelli Scorpions after the tire swap event and absolutely hated them. Currently I'm running Toyos and am very happy with them.

Reply to
Jim Tiberio

Officially called "Goods and Services Tax"..... it's a value added tax that is applied to nearly everything Canadians purchase. Some exemptions are understandable and some are just plain wierd...... white milk = exempt..... chocolate milk = taxable..... 6 donuts = exempt.... 5 donuts = taxable...

7% is the current rate... tahnkfully, Alberta still doesn't have sales tax.

HTH

Jim Warman

Michelin Cross Terrain SUV are fabulous on the Explorer but won't come cheap. Low noise, good wet and dry traction and surprisingly good in the snow. I tossed the old BFG donuts right in the garbage where they belong.

Steve R

Reply to
Stephen Read
7% is the current rate... tahnkfully, Alberta still doesn't have sales tax.

HTH

stevef

I'll second the vote on the LTX's. I put 85,000 on mine before they even started to show wear. I replaced them with BFG Long Trail T/A. They're alright, but I miss the Michelins. Cost was the only factor, and I wish I'd spent the extra $100. Someone mentioned Pirelli Scorpions, but Tire Rack says they're not approved or recommended for the Explorer so you might want to stay away from them. If you think your 91 has another 70-80K left in it, spring for the Michelins. You won't be sorry.

Reply to
Joe

Thanks for all the responses. So far, it looks like the general consensus opinion is: if you can afford them, buy Michelins.

Joe brings up my other main concern, and that's whether or not I think I'll get another 80,000 miles out of the old girl; that would put her very close to the 300,000 mile mark.

Mike

Reply to
Tiger

Wasn't there also something to do with the color of margarine?

As for the tire question, I have been very happy with my Pirelli Scorpion ATs. They are great in the snow and wet surfaces, at least compared to my original Firestone. However, they are noisier and not quite as smooth so consider them only if you do off-road or serious snow.

Ben

Reply to
Ben Kaufman

I also replaced the Firestones on my 2001 Sport Trac with Michelin Cross Terrains. I now have about 22K on them. Just completed a 1200 mile trip, and the vehicle and tire performed flawlessly. Drove from Fort Worth Texas to El Paso, at 70 to 80 MPH. The tires were balance and rotated before the trip. Thirty years ago, when statistics on tire ratings and comparisons were available, Michelin has the lowest number of defects, 2% compared to the closest competitor at that time, Goodyear, which had 10% defects. Every other tire maker was down hill from there. When I am driving at highway speeds I want safe tires on my car. Michelins still fit the bill. Ron

Reply to
R&B

At the risk of showing my age.... back in the '50s margarine was white and came in a sealed pouch...... Inside the pouch was a little dye capsule, the idea being that you could burst the cap and knead the colour through the margarine. You were allowed to fool your guests into thinking they were eating butter but you weren't allowed to fool consumers into thinking they were buying butter. Having tasted the difference..... well, what can I say..

I do see the odd vehicle with the Scorpions but I can say that they aren't real popular...

Jim Warman

No.... AFAIK we have only home grown dorks..... well aside from the ones that we allow into the country because they're bad enough to come under close scrutiny "back home".

I'm trying very hard to avoid launching into a political diatribe at this point....... let's just say that dog barf ON a toss cushion isn't all that much better than dog barf BESIDE the toss cushion.

I don't think anyone could have said it better than Waylon...... what this world needs is a few more rednecks.

Jim Warman as politically incorrect as ever snipped-for-privacy@telusplanet.net

exempt.....

Reply to
Jim Warman