Windows automatically go down

Hello all-

I have an explorer and while driving, the windows will all of a sudden go down...

Any ideas about this phenemonon? What should i do to fix it?

thanks- t-

Reply to
Todd

Just one window or all the windows? All at the same time or at random? What year?

Jim Warman

It's a 91 explorer... And yes all the windows will start to go down at the same time.

Reply to
Todd

If I may say my 2 cents on this...

A friend of mine has a 2000 Ford Taurus and she has a similar problem.... all her windows would go down for no apparent reason, and her rear trunk would pop unlocked too. It was as if the car itself was posessed.

She took it to the dealership and they had to replace the G.E.M. module.... it solved the problem. Perhaps see if that is yours too?

Reply to
Tim

Dave-

Yeah I saw your post, unfortunately it is the complete opposite. When there is water/moisture the windows work fine, but when it is dry out the windows become "possessed"

T-

Reply to
Todd

I've sat and stared and stared at the circuit diagram for your problem.... I will admit that I do not have the diagram for a '91 and I'm hoping that the '92 is the same. When the window switches are in the at rest position, all of the motor leads are grounded. I'm having trouble identifying a scenario but I would concentrate my diagnostics on the drivers door and wiring... especially in the rubber bellows twixt car and door. Yours doesn't have a GEM, so we can rule that out.....

Given that your trouble occurs when it is damp, I would consider using a spray bottle of water to wet down isolated portions or wiring and/or switches to see if I could cause the problem.

Jim Warman