02-present ranger transmissions

Are there any issues with the new rangers and transmissions? we have been having issues at work with these trucks, and caused us to switch to toyota and back to f150's, an unheard of change for this company to go to toyotas, using only fords for 35 years ... tried a few rangers in the mid 80's then back to f150s...

apparently the toyotas are the same cost as the rangers.. we tried a few last year and had good luck so far -- but who would say after only 1 year.

Anyway, is there any major TSB's on ranger transmissions...

friend of mine had a 5spd 3.0L tranny go with 12,000KMS on it...

Reply to
Picasso

Back in the mid-late 90's I heard lots of complaints about the "Mazda built" manual trans' failing. I believe they were behind the V-6 engines, but I cannot say for sure. I understand that the "Ford built" units (on the 4 cyls?) were much better. I've come upon this information by word of mouth but never verified it. I've never personally seen a manual trans fail in a Ranger, but the "Mazda" units seem to have a bad reputation. I'm sure that, if true, Ford has remedied the problem. Take it for what it's worth. HTH.

Reply to
Tom Adkins

And the issues you are having at work are?????? The transmission is a?????

There is a TSB regarding some initial engagement issues with the 5R55 between about 02 and present.... You'll need to offer some specifics since I don't like being part of a fishing expedition....

Reply to
Jim Warman

My 1991 Ranger, 3.0L V6 has the Mazda transmission in it. I just stopped driving it about 2 months ago and it is now for sale after 6 years of myself driving it. No TSB's that I was aware of. The only two issues I have had with this transmission are the rebuild I had to have done to it, mainly because the original owner neglected to ever check the transmission fluid. As a note, and after some research on the internet, I found out the 3 rubber plugs on the top of the transmission are known to slowly leak fluid, which was probably partly to blame for my transmission failure. Easy fix is to remove them and either silicone the rubber plugs or replace them with metal plugs.

The second issue is a noticeable whine in 1st through 3rd gear, which is typical of these transmissions, the complete rebuild did not cure this sound. Nor am I sure (or the retired Ford transmission mechanic who rebuilt mine) what is the source of this sound.

I cannot say whether these problems affect the newer transmissions or not.

HTH Sharky

Reply to
Sharky

5r44-e
Reply to
Picasso

What kind of issues are you having? There are a lot of TSBs published.... for all manner of concerns... I'm not going to read through all of them...

Reply to
Jim Warman