Help: 94 Taurus transmission cooling line

Started replacing a cracked radiator on my wife's 94 Taurus. Noticed that there was a trans fluid leak too. Turns out this leak is from the thin metal pipe (maybe 1/4") that runs across the bottom of the radiator. At one end (on the driver's side of the car) it connects, via a thicker gauge pipe, to the transmission.

What is this pipe called?

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Thomas Moats

Damn, I was searching for all sorts of things but didn't think of that exact combination of words. There are a bunch of different types available for this car, I hope I can find the exact same one as replacement.

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

replacement.

================== If you want to replace the whole line and not repair it, just stroll into your local Ford dealer and tell them where the line is and thats it's a trans cooler line. They can find it for you no problem.

Reply to
Scott M

Well... I don't know that it makes sense to try and repair it. It's corroded where it was held on by a bracket, I guess that was a stress point. I don't know how much pressure the line carries, but I do know I don't want it dumping the trans out :)

I was looking for an aftermarket replacement on the assumption that it's cheaper (and since I can't move the car right now, I can't bring it in to the dealer...). It's only a four-foot piece of pipe, how much could it cost? :))

I have to take my car in for a state inspection this week anyway, I guess I can ask the dealer then.

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards

Reply to
Thomas Moats

Well, here's how it panned out: Autozone (et al) list several kits for this, but they're expensive and I'm not even sure they're the right thing. The dealership said they wanted $130 for the part. My local auto parts store advised to use a piece of 5/16ths transmission line patch hose ($9.00), and a couple of hose clamps, so that's what I did.

There seems to be some kind of electrochemical reaction between the steel brackets and the stainless(?) cooler pipe. The pipe was rotted completely through under one bracket, and significantly deteriorated under the other bracket. So I cut out the entire bad piece and patched with a single long segment of the patch hose.

Only downside to this repair job is that since it was all done outside, I just about lost a finger or two to the COLD. It's also very hard to get the radiator in on this car because it has a little front-end damage. Had to cut off the shorter trans oil line and replace it with rubber, too, because I couldn't get the radiator in with the original piece on it, and if I put in the radiator first, I couldn't get the metal pipe hooked up.

Upside is the trans is now shifting a lot smoother :) I'm surprised there was still anything left in it. Seems like all the leaks are fixed. Now I have to decide whether to make the bodywork on this car look nice, or just dump it...

Reply to
Lewin A.R.W. Edwards