1985 Ford Tempo

we have been having this ford tempo for awhile now and we keep fixing it This car doesn't have air or heat and it's Torure driving it sometimes when it's so hot! I am surprised it still runs but it's the only car between me and my husband he drives to work and when he comes home i do my shopping or what ever I need to do so we have to keep this car running I know nothing about cars except some of it because we only had older cars my husband knows nothing about cars he knows as much as I do but a llttle bit more a couple of months ago the radiator hose was leaking so my husband cut off one end and put it back together he sorta rigged it up because he said one end didn't fit anywhere or it used to be. There was trouble with it at one time with the orginal owner I think because he rigged it up too so the other day the same hose was leaking again and he fixed it again but we have a different problem we have been putting power steering fluid in every few days so it must have a hole somewhere or leaking badly enough to where we have to put fluid in every few days. now as i am driving my kids to school, it starts to smoke not badly but little whisps in the air so i am trying to get home as quick as possible and told my husband he looks and sure enough it's smoking so we thought it as maybe fluid burning off in the manifold the next day it didn't smoke but today it did but i managed to take my daughter to open house at her high school and didn't wisp so I am so distraught I don't know what to do how do I fix this and what do you think this is? Thanks so much : )

Reply to
sol_girl

I didn't read about any trips to church in the mix there. Prayer might be you only hope. I think the radiator hose situation simply needs a new hose for about $15. The power steering leak could also be a hose/line or the gear itself. Take a look, but you are likely not going to fix that because it costs more than the car may be worth. If your kids are in school, could you perhaps get a job nearby?

Reply to
Al Bundy

It sounds to me that you need either a new car or to get money to fix this car right. I get the feeling that the car is not really safe (it almost certainly doesn't have air bags and modern safety equipment). I agree with Mr. Bundy in that fixing the car right may be more expensive than the car is worth. In addition, even after you fix it up, it will be an old car with an old suspension, engine, transmission, etc. You are probably better off getting a job (as Mr. Bundy suggests) and getting a newer used car. Used cars are at an all-time low, thanks to the all the trade-ins from the Ford, GM and Chyrsler Employee Discount for Everyone.

There are still a lot of money, but your safety, IMHO, is worth it.

Jeff

~Margaret~

Reply to
Jeff