1985 Thunderbird brake light switch question

While replacing the brake booster on my 1985 Thunderbird Turbo Coupe the brake light switch assembly fell off the brake pedal. I didn't see how it was on before it fell off (since the assembly is way up under the dash.)

I just finished putting the booster in and put the brake light assembly on the way I thought it would go but now I have no brake lights.

Does anyone have an image of the brake light switch/brake pedal assembly?

Thanks, Dale L

Reply to
Dale L

"Dale L" wrote

Did you plug the connector back in?

The switch should be installed with the U-shaped cutout on the pedal side, and the hole on the outside, trapping the pushrod (and bushing, if equipped) between the switch sideplates. Nylon washer & clip go on last.

It's made that way so you don't have to take the pushrod all the way off the stud to replace the switch. Just remove the clip & washer, move everything over a bit so it's flush with the end of the stud, and slide the switch off.

Reply to
MasterBlaster

Thanks much for the info. The bad news is that I had put it on the same way you described. Never did disconnect the plug/wiring from the switch.

Sounds like it is time for a new switch. I guess it only makes sense that the switch goes when it is removed for the first time after almost 20 years.

Thanks, Dale L

On Fri, 19 Dec 2003 12:00:18 GMT, "MasterBlaster"

Reply to
Dale L

"Dale L" wrote

Could just be a broken wire in or near the connector. It happened to me, and that's when I learned how the silly thing attaches to the pedal.

Reply to
MasterBlaster