1987 F-250 won't start

I have a 1987 F-250 Pick-up that won't start. The starter turns, but the it appears that the engine is not engaged. I believe that the starter solenoid is the most likely culprit.

Any other ideas on this?

Thanks.

Reply to
takarov2003

Well, it sounds like you're saying that it cranks(starter turns the motor), but the truck won't start. It's not the starter or solenoid. If it goes "Rerrrrerrrerr" then it isn't in the starter circuit. Offhand on a vehicle if that age I would suspect the fuel pump, but let's not be hasty. Try a (light!!) shot of starting fluid, does it try to run? If so you probably have spark. Suspect the fuel pump. If it doesn't try to start\run then it is likely a spark concern. Suspect the TFI module on the distributor. Try this simple test and advise what you find out. We'll go from there. Tom

Reply to
Tom Adkins

let's not be hasty.

Reply to
tom

Sounds like the starter drive gear bendex has failed. It is replaceable, but if this is the original starter motor it's best to replace the whole starter.

Reply to
pick one

No, he clearly said the starter turns but the engine does not, looks like a starter drive has failed.

Reply to
pick one

Why do we need all that?

Reply to
pick one

replaceable, but if

My thanks to everyone who responded. Yes, the starter turns, no the engine does not. Push start in second gear works. Looks like time to pull the starter and replace as needed.

Thanks again

Reply to
takarov2003

Sticking linkage perhaps? Broken off teeth on the starter or flywheel?

1) try turning the engine by hand & trying again

2) bench test the starter.

3) let us now how that goes
Reply to
some bunny