Re: Most fuel-effecient speed.

I posted the following question at alt.autos.ford.escort but I was adviced by some nice people there to post it here. So, here it goes:

"I have a '96 Ford Escort-LX 1.9L stick-shift. It has about 72K on it. What is the most fuel effecient speed?"

Thanks in advance.

Thanks Senthil.

Reply to
C.G.Senthilkumar.

Depends on air density, flow of traffic & countless other items.

USUALLY it's targeted for 55 MPH / 90KPH

Plug in a tachometer & Vacuum gauge Low rev's high vacuum best results "usually".

Let us know how it works out.

I've hit 40 MPG in my Olds 98 @ 70 MPH over 900 Miles in the summer driving across the Prairies and 55 MPG in an 1984 Diesel Rabbit @ 50 MPH driving from Windsor to Niagara Falls.

Reply to
Some gal

At what RPM is the engine rated for maximum torque?? Usually the ENGINE is most efficient at that speed. Running at that speed in top gear is GENERALLY the most efficient

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

1976 Celica GT fastback 5 speed was best, believe it or not, at about 85 MPH - if you did not have to lift your foot for anything.

I drove it from Kitchener to Kingston at 2AM and got better than 45MPG (It's a long time ago - I think it was actually almost 49)

It worked out to be running at the max torque RPM in overdrive - with the tires at maximum full-load pressure. 2 adults with minimum luggage.

The gearing on the '77 was changed, and the mileage decreased, and was achieved at a lower speed. (but it DID have more spunk with the same HP.)

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce

No. Cars may be tuned so that they run as effeciently as possible at 55 MPH, but are most efficent lower speeds like around 40 MPH (varies from car to car).

Aerodynamic resistance is the limiting factor.

That mat be true for power, but not for fuel efficency.

Engines are more efficent at lower RPMs than higher ones with maximum efficency at around 1000-2000 MPH.

Jeff

Reply to
Jeff