19872 Torino Parts Needed

I am looking for the front end (grill) parts for my 1972 Torino. Can anyone provide?

Reply to
CMOORE

when looking also look for the 93 parts as they shoud fit,, i had a

73 grand torino way back in 73.... the parts seemed interchangeable, all except the front bumper mounts.. i think 73 was the first year with the bounce back bumper(someone would hit you and they would bounce back off of you)....
Reply to
jim

1973 parts will not fit on a 1972 without modofication. The front end is completely different, the hood contours are different, and the frame horns are different. You are correct that 1973 is the first year of the Federally-mandated energy absorbing bumpers.
Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

What parts are you looking for? Are you needing parts for a Gan Torino or a base Torino?

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

"Whole Lotta Tom" wrote in news:RNNEb.19$ snipped-for-privacy@newssvr27.news.prodigy.com:

False. 1974.

For years in California, the telltale sign for "smog exempt" (pre-'74) was the absence of those bumpers.

Reply to
donutbandit

false the back safety bumpers were added in 1974,,,,,,,,,, i had a 73 and it had the front bumper(safety) and remember replacing the back bumper as someone hit it two times... and it did not have the safety bumper in 73 but did in 74 and i was thinking of modifiying it to add the safety bumper on the back.... been there done that....

Reply to
jim

Sorry, Jim. The '73 was indeed the first year of the 5 MPH bumper up front and '74 got the rear treatment. The '73 and '74 look much alike in the front while the '72 and '73 are near twins in the rear. Do a google search and you will find many pics of the various model.

Reply to
lugnut

You may want to try dearbornclassics.com. They had some a while back IIRC. '72 Ranchero will be the same.

Reply to
lugnut

False. 1973.

I have owned four such cars, and currently own a 1973 Mercury Montego.

I am in California. Wrong again. Please research before posting.

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

No, the Ranchero has the Gran Torino header & grille. CMOORE has to come clean with better specifics on what he has and what he needs, we are only guessing without more info.

Rob

* * *
Reply to
Trainfan1

Maybe I should be more specific. I was referring to the Gran Torino. I keep forgetting that some folks actually bought the cheap Torinos or would want to restore one. In any case, dearborn classics is a good place to start for older Ford pieces. There are several. Hemmings Motor News should never be overlooked for sources.

Reply to
lugnut

Via email the poster tells me he has a Gran Torino, and needs grill, surround (header) and headlight assys and front trim.

As for the base Torino, you need to look at that with "fresh" eyes. I always discounted them. Ugly in comparison to the Gran level. But now, they are rather unique. A 1972 base torino tudor sedan completely stock looking with a built 460 would make a first-rate sleeper. And, when you take the 1972 as it's own entity, not comparing it with the Gran, it's not bad looking. Less fish-mouth effect.

I have developed a real tatste for stock sleepers of late, and the 1972/73 base Torinos are an untapped resource. Find one in good shape and get it cheap because, of course, it's just an ugly base Torino. Heh heh heh.

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom

Speaking of 460's, IK was just given one along with a 400 - both complete. I haven't run the numbers yet on the 460 but the 400 appears to be a 1978 truck piece with std. bores and crank. I am kicking around the idea of replacing the 351CJ with one of them. The big thing stopping me is the fact that the car is all matching numbers. It may be worth much more original than modified.

Reply to
lugnut

If the mods you make are reversable, and you keep the original parts, what does it hurt? A person interested in a resto project is more concerned with having the correct parts that it all being together. If you plan to sell the car in the future, but want to enjoy it now, I say build what you want but be careful to document the changes so that it is easy to reverse.

Reply to
Whole Lotta Tom