1988 town car engine or exhaust rattle?

Got one with 90000 miles and no oil pressure troubles. has a 302 v8 I seem to hear a lot of knocking rattling type of sound under the car on the passenger side. Almost sounds like something loose in the pipe.
The noise happens when you rev it up and let it back down. It is steadily getting worse, more noise and louder than before. I was wondering if the converter could have failed, but the car has plenty of power. The transmission was just replaced so the flex plate I assume is ok. The noise occured before the tranny was rebuilt. Either that or many of the bearings and pistons are just failing quick
The noise is very loud under the car and not so on top. Any ideas?
Real good possibility the converter contents are loose and rattling. With the engine cool and not running, hit the converter housing with a rubber mallet. If the inside are loose, you'll hear it.

Check your heat shields on the converters & mufflers; odds are the tack welds that hold them on have broken loose. The "fix" is really big hose clamps.