1989 Ford Aerostar Sags?

Hi All,

1989 Aerostar sags to one side... it was subtle at first, but now it is starting to make me worry. If you look at the van from behind, the left side, (drivers) tilts about 5 degrees down.

I'm sure it's springs?. 2 questions: 1) should I replace both sides, and also the fronts too? (the front is slight, but noticable) 2) was this caused by me being the only one that drives it all the time without anyone on the other side (I'm not THAT heavy, but I'm not 185 either) and 3, will it harm anything to leave it for a little while, or do I run the risk of ruining the tires... I don't drive it that much daily.... maybe 100 miles a month is all.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
RobGute

More likely to be struts on an 89. When was the last time you changed them, or the previous owner?

For springs, like struts or brakes, I would do both sides at the same time. Unless I knew for sure the springs were bad, I would replace the struts first. I have done fronts and rears on seperate occasions, depends on how much time I get to monkey around.

For the amount you are driving I would forget about it until something broke.

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

I thought The van has shocks, not struts. this is an aerostar RWD... I thought shocks just keep the springs from bouncing?

This van uses 4 coils, and none have ever been replaced, springs or shocks, so it's time... I am the original owner. I was going to have the rear shocks done at the same time as new springs.

I'd rather prevent further damage to the van.

Reply to
RobGute

I don't know what they have, makes sense to do both springs and shocks/struts, but it's gonna cost you. I priced out springs for my car at $50 each, add struts and that's probably $400 easy. Not sure yet what my own abor is worth...

Matt

Reply to
sleepdog

The springs on Aerostars are notorious. They break often - particularly if the shocks are allowed to get weak. When rear springs go they very often puncture the tire.

Change them - all - NOW, and put in a good set of heavy duty gas charged shocks while you are at it (unless the poor old thing is so badly rusted out it is not worth fixing)

My '89 reached that point over 6 years ago.

Reply to
nospam.clare.nce