1989 Ford Tempo Rear Brake Drums

Hello ,

I need to know how to replace the brake drums on the rear of my 1989 Ford Tempo. I purchased two new brake drums, a good brand, made in USA .

My question is about the hub. The drum seems to be a press fit on the hub. When I remove the brake drum from the car, the drum and hub come off as an assembly.

Am I supposed to press the hub out of the existing drum and press it into the new brake drum ?

Are the studs a press fit into the hub ? Is there anything else that I need to be aware of ?

Thanks for the help. This is the first time I have had to do this. In the past I changed the brake shoes, but did not have to replace the drums.

Reply to
kalaj

By your post, it seems the replacement part is drum only.

Havent seen a case of "Drum press-fit to hub" though I havent seen everything.

But it is very common for the drum to be tightly rusted to hub.

Somehow I suspect that if you put nuts back on to protect threads and pound between the studs, the hub will eventually drop out. Clean up the hub before reassembly.

And service the bearings (clean/repack) carefully.... known problem on tempos.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

I mean hit the drum with heavy hammer BETWEEN studs.. do not strike the hub or studs.

worth saying again

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

Your original drums are a tight interference fit to the hubs. Not exactly pressed on but they won't just slip off. Set the old drum with the wheel studs facing up on a concrete surface. Place a block of wood on the hub center (not the studs), then smack it with a hammer. A couple of raps and the hub will drop out of the drum. Most replacement drums will just slip onto the hub without the interference fit, although I have seen very few that must be drawn onto the hub. If so, place the hub into the drum and draw it onto the hub evenly using all 4 of the wheel nuts (inverted) alternately and evenly. If this were my car I would also replace the wheel bearings and seals at this time. Also, check the wheel cylinders closely. I'll bet you find at least one piston frozen in the bore, it's really common on these cars.

Reply to
Tom Adkins