Ford Focus Mk2 (55 plate) rear wheel bearing

Our 2005 Ford Focus Mk2 (1.6L petrol, rear drum brakes) appears to have a noisy rear wheel bearing (advisory on MOT last year). We do probably less than 10,000 miles a year now, and it's around 72-75k mileage I think.

Having briefly looked at the Haynes manual, it appears a straightforward job as the bearings are in a unit which get replaced in entirety. So, I think it's remove drum, remove shoes, remove bearing unit and refit. No need for presses etc to remove/refit the bearings.

Do people agree it's a DIY job? I've previously (on a Pug 306) changed front disks and shoes, brake hoses and done basic servicing. I have basic tools (spanners, sockets, 18"? torque wrench). I haven't previously worked on drum brakes, though remember my Dad spending (what seemed like) hours working on his old Mini's brake drums and shoes (and re-building needle bearings). Discs seem so less fiddly!

Anyway - I would expect to renew the shoes at the same time (so means doing both sides) - but are there any specific tools I would need for this (shoes and bearings), and is it really that easy to do rear bearings on a (drum based) Ford Focus?

Anything else need replacing whilst things are off - e.g. one-time use nuts etc?

As we only have 1 car, I'd prefer to make sure I have everything first, than find I've got a long walk to get something I missed!

Any rough idea of the price of the bearing, and whether to got with OEM? Recommendations for brake shoes - stick with Ford?

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn
[...]

Genuine bearing:

Around a third of that for the cheapest eBay ones.

If you are keeping the car, go with OEM

Rear brake shoes easily last 100K miles or more; I wouldn't replace them unless at the wear limit.

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Do they have those dust caps that might get wrecked when you remove them? I know from experience that Fiesta and Ka have them, and I find it tricky to get them out without at least bending them.

Reply to
Max Quad

I assume that the bearing unit is similar to that on a similar aged Focus with rear disks. If so, you'll need a set of Torx bits and extension bars to remove it, as it's held by four Torx screws accessible through the large hole in the back of the suspension arm. It's slightly fiddly, but no great problem. A selection of extensions is useful as one too long won't fit between the screw head and other parts of the suspension

SteveW

Reply to
SteveW

Thanks for the advice, I'll stick with OEM as we plan to keep the car, and having checked the shoes, they still have some life on them so that's fine. Looking at it, the shoes don't actually have to come off anyway, so no need to even disturb them.

My local Ford place quoted me part number 1766628 for the hub assembly for my car, rather than the 1506577 linked (and referenced a lot online). Any idea the difference? I'm putting another reply to SteveW with more info in it too.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I've had the wheel and drum off over the weekend, to check exactly what is there, and what I need for the job (and to confirm that Haynes is right!) prior to ordering any parts. I'm happy with what's needed, but I've got a couple of questions. Below are a few photos just to show what I have.

View of rear brakes and hub with drum removed:

View of rear hub assembly mount point (front):
View of rear hub assembly mount point (rear):

I went to my local Ford place to check the parts and price required (gave registration number). I asked for the "rear hub assembly", and was told it was £117 + VAT, part number 1766628. I asked for the 4 bolts, and was told £1.20 + VAT each, part number 1539719. Didn't normally stock any of them.

Now, the part number that Ford gave me is different to the one that Chris W linked to: 1506577 (which has about 4x the number of hits). Can anyone help with the explaining the difference between the parts? Newer version, or completely incompatible?

I see there are 4 (internal) Torx bolts accessible from behind the suspension arm. My largest Torx is a T40, which I tried and was a bit loose. I read somewhere something which suggested it's actually a T45 bit, so I picked up one of them up but haven't been able to check it as haven't had the car up again yet. However, when searching on the bolt part number (1539719) it seems that they've changed these bolts to external Torx due to rusting problems on the internal ones (confirmed from the photos I took!), but in the same discussions (often about Mondeo I recall) was that the original bolts were T50 heads.

I thought the little bit of play from the T40 would make it a T45, but if the rust has reduced the size a little, maybe it was a T50? I don't know.

Can anyone confirm the actual head size that were factory fit for the Ford Focus Mk2 rear hub assembly mount?

With regard to accessibility, they seem a pain to get to (with just axle stands I think it's easier working from side of car, facing the hub, rather than under, as you can reach around to feel the heads), but I wonder how much room I'll have for my torque wrench to move, but hopefully it won't be a real problem. I'll have to confirm what extension bars I have, as you say, a selection would be helpful.

Thanks

David

Reply to
David Hearn

I meant to say the current hub has 3M51-2C299-R C8B9A >PA66-GF30< 2 on the plastic back where the ABS connector goes.

Thanks

David Hearn
[...]

Why not email Ford Parts UK and ask them? I've always found them helpful.

BTW, looking at the photos I would suggest the shoes will outlast the car ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Unless he has a slave cylinder failure dumping hydraulic oil all over them (see other thread) - the only reason I have ever had for needing to change rear shoes :-)

Reply to
news

Perhaps he will heed the warning, and change the fluid at the recommended intervals; that way, they are likely to last forever ;-)

Chris

Reply to
Chris Whelan

Maybe I will... hopefully ;)

David Hearn

Thanks. I did contact them on your advice and the confirmed the new part number replaces the old one. Hub assembly and bolts should be arriving today - price inc VAT and delivery was practically what my local dealer wanted before VAT!

Still no closer to knowing what the existing Torx head bolts are though. May have to pick up a T50 just in case.

As the old bolt heads appear rusted, is it worth soaking in WD40 overnight prior to trying to remove them?

I'm assuming no need for threadlock, and just to tighten to correct torque (Haynes said 55Nm I think, though read elsewhere possibly 65Nm).

Thanks

David Hearn

Just received the new bolts, and they have a band of blue threadlock already on them. So that question is sorted.

David Hearn

Hi Dave,

Can you please confirm what size the bolts are? I'm looking to pick some up.

Regards,

Reply to
mr.kjd116

Ford focus MK2 5DOORS 55 plate after fixing new wheel hub ABS light come

Reply to
rafiqgill.rg1