1992 Ford Tempo Trailer Hitch

I have a 1992 Ford Tempo. We're about to move across country about 1600 miles or so. It doesn't have any trailer-hitch gear on it. I think it would be able to tow probably 1000 lbs, and that's enough. We intend to tow (say) a 4x8 ft trailer nothing more.

I live in Tucson, AZ and so far the only place that seems to offer any trailer hitches is UHaul. They want $250 installed for one. A friend of mine seems to think we could get it cheaper than that, I don't know.

We have called Autozone & such places and all they ever say is "call Uhaul."

My question--where else would be a possible source? Also, I don't understand the basics, so what exactly would be needed and would it be bolted on or welded on? As for parts, I remeber hearing of something called a "receiver" but otherwise I am totally ignorant all the way around about all of it.

Tips?

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Google seems to think:

as the most popular. I've used DrawTite online several times with no problems and they should be able to answer everything you are wondering about.

Reply to
Berkshire Bill

You pull a 4x8 trailor loaded with stuff, you better plan on junking the car or replacing the tranny when you get there. Especially if ur moving through the mountains, you better replace the brakes too.

Reply to
Adam

You would be far better off renting a truck and a tow dolly for the Tempo.

Yeah, it's gonna cost you more, but what you contemplate is REALLY rolling the dice. For one thing, a 4x8 will come out to well over 1000 lbs gross weight, loaded. And for that you should have AT LEAST a trans cooler installed.

Peace of mind has its worth.

Hint: Check those rear wheel bearings on that Tempo, either way.

Reply to
Backyard Mechanic

The way you say that--is the Ford Tempo a car which Ford advises against trailer-towing with? I know I used to own a Ford Festiva and in the 1988 Consumer Reports it said "Ford advises against trailer towing with the Festiva" (which was hardly a surprise). But I don't recall what CU, Ford had to say about the Ford Tempo.

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr

Try

about 90 dolls, and it appears to bolt on

Reply to
E. BOROWICZ

In this instance it would almost be like towing a trailor with two riding mowers 1600 miles with a chevy chevette, I wouldnt do it and common since would tell you not to try it. Sure you could do it, but probally not without consequences. I like Backyard Mechanics' idea of renting a truck with tow dolly.

Reply to
Adam

Update--I was wrong a little, it would be a 4x6.

I did ask the Uhaul people specificially about a transmission cooler. They said they weren't really a "highly essential" addition, but also (interestingly) said that if my car does fine on straight-roads but struggles up steep hills--I told them I'll floor it and it's all it can do to go 45mph on such hills--that it could be that the transmission fluid/filter need changing.

I'd never heard of that, don't know how true it is, but since it's only like $60 I'm going to do it no matter whether or not we tow anything.

What do you guys/ladies think?

LRH

Reply to
Larry R Harrison Jr