1994 Ford Escort (UK) Brakes Mystery.

I'm at my wits end here!

Our Escort 1.8 Diesel failed the MOT with a lazy drivers side rear brake. We have replaced the cylinder (which was also replaced less than six months ago due to a leak, along with new shoes). Unfortunately with the foot brake full on the wheel is still turnable by hand. The new cylinder is working but will not sustain a grip on the drum.

My thoughts are that the load balancing unit may be at fault, but I have no experience on these. Any ideas or solutions or previous experiences would be most welcome. Thanks.

Ron. snipped-for-privacy@blueyonder.co.uk

Reply to
C & R Murray

noname

Yes, when the first cylinder was replaced on the drivers side we replaced the cylinder on the other side at the same time and fitted a new set of rear shoes.

Bled the system extensively again this morning - no air left in the system. When the engine is running we can't budge the wheels (because of the servo), but with the engine off we can turn the rear wheels with a big screwdriver as a lever?

Is that bad or good ?

Thanks for the reply.

Reply to
C & R Murray

hiya,

you answered your own question here, without the donkey running you only get a few pushes of the pedal before the servo is empty.

Is the drum badly worn (is there a big lip at the outer edge? was it a bitch to remove?) is it badly scored? maybe the shoes need road use to bed in or you need new drums. Once the case hardening has worn thru' the wear rate is rapid. If they're not adjusted correctly the pedal travel will be excessive (another fail point)

hope this helps

pottsy

Reply to
pottsy